Whether you’re going to a job interview, wedding, or a party, you can certainly spruce up an outfit with a nice tie. While it may seem easier just to clip on a bowtie and call it a day, learning how to tie a tie is actually way easier than you think! Follow our step-by-step guide below to learn how to tie a Full Windsor and a half-Windsor knot!
How to Tie a Full Windsor Knot
The Windsor knot has a polished triangular shape and is perfect for job interviews and social occasions. This knot is wider than the half- Windsor and looks best with a spread collar shirt.
1. To begin tying the full Windsor knot, raise the shirt collar and drape the tie around the neck, so the wide end is on the right side and extends about 12 inches below the narrow end.
2. Cross the wide part of the tie over the narrow part.
3. Pull the wide end up through the opening at the neck, then down.
4. Pass the wide end underneath and to the right of the narrow part with the wrong side facing out.
5. Cross the wide part over and to the left of the narrow part with the correct side facing out.
6. Pull the wide end up through the opening at the neck.
7. When bringing it down, pass it through the loop at the front.
8. Holding the dangling parts with one hand, slide the knot carefully up toward the collar with the other hand until snug, then lower the collar.
How to Tie a Half-Windsor Knot
The half Windsor knot has a triangular and symmetrical shape for a classic look, but is smaller than the classic Windsor Knot. Because of this, it works best with wider, medium weight ties.
1. Cross the wide part over the narrow part.
2. Cross the wide part behind the narrow part so the wrong side is facing out.
3. Bring the wide end up and over to the left.
4. Pull it through the opening at the neck so it lays wrong side out to the right.
5. Bring the wide end over the narrow part from right to left with the correct side facing up.
6. Bring the wide end up through the neck loop again.
7. When bringing it down, insert it through the loop at the front of the collar.
8. Adjust the knot by sliding it upward with one hand and holding the tails with the other.
9. Lower the shirt collar to complete the look.
And voila! Make sure to practice in front of a mirror for optimal results. Still confused? Check out Reef Knot’s video on how to tie the perfect half-Windsor knot here: